Having worked having a multitude of little company clients more than the years I’m always surprised when I go into the atmosphere and see they are on a peer to peer network. A peer to peer network is 1 that has no central model; each computer is its own little environment with no method to control them from a central system.
This is generally ok for one or two computers but as a company grows and more computers are added to the atmosphere this can rapidly spiral into a management nightmare also as having a a lot greater total price of ownership. Here is really a list of the leading 5 reasons why your business ought to move to Windows Server 2008 with a central domain structure.
- Centralized Security — Ever have an employee leave on bad terms and been unable to access their workstation because they took the password with them? Because of the peer to peer network unless you’ve an additional administrative account on that computer you might be locked out of their files or even utilizing that computer with out resorting to 3rd party software program or hiring in an expert to deal with it.With Windows Server 2008 along with a domain security structure all computers and users accounts are controlled from the server. You can alter any user’s password or give access to locked computers without needing them to tell you their passwords.
- Roaming Profiles — In a little business becoming able to have individuals work in different locations but nonetheless have access to their own files and desktop is really a main plus. Smaller staff means getting to cover for those that are out sick and that might need someone to sit in a various part of the workplace to cover the front desk for instance. With Roaming Profiles these floaters can login to any of the computers inside your organization and have access to their documents to work on. And once they go back to their very own workstations they’ll have all of the updated documents correct there with out them having to worry about moving them back.
- Central File Repository — In any size business you’re going to have critical business files that need to be shared amongst multiple users. In a Peer to Peer you are able to share your personal drive but frequently novice users make the mistake of sharing an excessive amount of and expose confidential information to anyone on the network. With Windows Server 2008 operating File Services you are able to have all these files in a central location. Together with centralized security you can have granular control over who can access what document or folder permitting your HR or Finance staffs keep their confidential documents secured for access but nonetheless shared amongst themselves.
- Centralized Backups — If all your critical documents are spread on various computers keeping them backed up can trigger a number of problems and higher costs. As soon as your files are moved to a centralized file repository you are able to backup those files from one location. This greatly simplifies backups and Windows Server 2008 even comes with built in software to help get your data safe and secure. Keep in mind backups are not always about disasters, I can’t tell you the number of times a user accidentally input incorrect information or made a mistake and saved more than the correct data. Getting a centralized backup protects you from these kinds of incidents regardless of the cause.
- Shared Resources — Windows Server 2008 allows you to share resources in an workplace like printers. In far too many offices each and every employee has one of those small chap printers on their desks. Whilst the hardware is cheap ink for all those little printers can rapidly add up, in fact in most cases purchasing ink twice will price much more than the printer itself. Moving to a central printer from these desktop printers can save a significant amount of cash. In 1 case I took a business to this centralized printing and it dropped the per page cost of printing from.09 to.02 cents. Envision the number of pages your company prints in a month and see if it that is not a substantial quantity every year.
This list is hardly comprehensive however it is a good begin in thinking about how a central server inside your workplace could help you get your businesses computers below control. Along with the benefits of increased productivity and information protection it much more than outweighs the brief term expenses of buying the server, central management of one’s atmosphere permits for higher flexibility and use of one’s infrastructure and permits for simpler growth.
Make certain in the event you do plan on implementing a central domain that you strategy it well because it is very hard to fix a poorly implemented system, do it right the first time although and it can last for years.central model, management nightmare, peer to peer network, roaming profiles, security structure